Wednesday, November 18, 2009

H2O Sketchbook

H2O is the piece I've created for the Arthousecoop Sketchbook Project. I was given the theme My Life in a Yellow Submarine. After thinking through obvious references to the famous Beetles' song, I settled on a piece about water as I imagined that life on any sub, no matter what the color, would be a life surrounded by cold, salty, blue, green wetness.

Because of the project a story on Women Submariners on NPR caught my attention as I was making the piece so I did some internet research and came across the naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory's Technical Report #1219 entitled The Medical Implications of Women on Submarines. The calligraphic marks on one side of my accordian sketchbook are words from this report.









































































































2 comments:

  1. Such beautiful work, Lisa!
    I'm wowed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. Love the movement and the color and the spirit. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete